Hi, it’s Patrik Hutzel from INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM where we instantly improve the lives for Families of critically ill Patients in Intensive Care, so that you can make informed decisions, have PEACE OF MIND, real power, real control and so that you can influence decision making fast, even if you’re not a doctor or a nurse in Intensive Care!
This is another episode of “YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED“ and in last week’s episode I answered another question from our readers and the question was
My Dad is Ventilated in ICU with COVID-19. Is it True that He is Dying?
You can check out last week’s question by clicking on the link here.
In this episode of “YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED” I want to answer a question from one of my clients Megan, as part of my 1:1 consulting and advocacy service! Megan’s brother is not waking up in the ICU but the ICU team has not been giving him any sedation. Megan is asking if she can ask for his brother’s drug chart to see if it’s true.
The ICU Team Stopped Giving Sedation to my Brother But How Come He is Not Waking Up? Can I Ask for His Drug Chart to See if it’s True?
“You can also check out previous 1:1 consulting and advocacy sessions with me and Megan here.”
Megan: Do you think? Good idea?
Patrik: Absolutely. Absolutely. Look, you can even tell them what he’s listening too. It doesn’t matter. It’s up to you. And they know by now you’re not giving up and-
Megan: Yes, they know I’m not giving up. I mean, they do know that. And I’d be interested to see how they respond to me after your call.
Patrik: Right. Right
Megan: Whether they’re a bit more hostile or whether they’re still friendly.
Patrik: Right. Look. Look-
Megan: I think, Patrik, the bottom line is that they’re very fond of Ryan. A lot of them are really, genuinely have bonded with him.
Patrik: Yeah, yeah. That’s good. That’s good. Leverage-
Megan: So that is positive.
Patrik: Leverage that-
Megan: Good leverage.
Patrik: Leverage that. And also, as we’ve talked about earlier. Yes, it is exhausting going against the grain and it’s an uphill battle. However, the more-
Megan: It is.
Patrik: It will get easier because say… There will be a point when they realize, well, no matter what they do, what they say, you have guns to shoot with as well.
Megan: I have… Can you say that again Patrik?
Patrik: You can shoot back. And they know you’re not going away. No matter what they do, the games they tend to play with everybody else is not working with you.
Patrik: Right? So, that’s really important to just keep doing what you’re doing. Yes, it’s draining. Yes, it’s exhausting, but they know by now you’re not giving up.
Megan: That I’m not going away.
Patrik: That’s right.
Megan: No. Absolutely. And in fact I’m probably pushing more now than… And the other thing, Patrik, they did was that the doom and gloom doctor was on yesterday and I wasn’t even going to give him another chance at going at me.
Megan: So, I just saw him. And I said, “Are they doing around?” She said, “Yes.” I said, “Oh, I must be assertive .”
Megan: And I thought, “I’m not giving you another chance at me. You’re not getting another go at me.” You could say I was running away, but it wasn’t that. I love to talk to the doctors, but I just wasn’t giving him another chance to reinforce this negativity and nonsense.
- The 5 Reasons Why You Need To Stop Being Intimidated By The Intensive Care Team, If Your Loved One Is Critically Ill In Intensive Care
Megan: So, I just went to the loo, and when I came back he had done the thing and moved on.
Patrik: That’s great. That’s great. Some of-
Megan: As you know, he pounced on me last time, and I thought, “I’m not having this again. This is not fair.”
Patrik: Absolutely. Absolutely.
Patrik: Some games in life you don’t play in order to win.
Patrik: Right? Just stay away.
Megan: Just stay away. That’s what I thought. I made a very quick decision and I thought, “Uh-oh. Here we go. He’s had his fun with me. Now, you don’t get another go. If you want to speak to me, you ask to speak to me. And then I’m prepared for what you’re going to come up with.”
Patrik: Well, not only-
Megan: “Don’t just catch me…”
Patrik: Right. You are not only prepared, but you also make a conscious choice whether you are going to talk to him or not.
Megan: Yes. Indeed. Where he’s just plunking himself down like that was very, very, very devious, I think.
Patrik: Yes. Absolutely.
Megan: With my mom, at least they always said, “May we speak with you? Would it be okay to speak with you now?” At least there was that.
Patrik: Yes. Yes. There seems to be no courtesy. It’s all trying to push you over.
- WHAT YOUR BODY LANGUAGE AND YOUR TONE OF VOICE COMMUNICATES TO THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM AND WHY YOU NEED TO CHANGE IT URGENTLY SO YOU CAN HAVE PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE!
- WHY YOUR BODY LANGUAGE MAY BE YOUR BIGGEST OBSTACLE TO PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE WHILST YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE
Megan: Definitely. But the more they’re going to push me, the more I’m going to push back now.
Patrik: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no. You have to.
Megan: So, yes-
Megan: I will…
Patrik: Are you going back in there today?
Megan: Yes. I’ll go today and see how he is having been in the chair.
Megan: You know in Northern Ireland they talk about the chair that they do and that the chair… So, when they’re talking about the chair it always sounds a bit sinister, but it’s actually a marvelous thing. And they said he was in it today but he was sleeping. It’s what they told me.
Patrik: He was what?
Megan: He was sleeping.
Patrik: Oh, yeah. Sure. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. No, no, you mentioned that. You mentioned that. If-
Patrik: If you are going there today, you really want to ask them are they sure they’re not giving him any sedation to help him sleep over the night, even though she denied that. That was at 10 o’clock last night, or 10:30. They might have still given him something at midnight. Who knows?
- The 5 Mistakes you are unconsciously making if your critically ill loved one is in an induced coma and is not “waking up”!
Megan: Am I entitled to look at his drug chart?
Megan: Am I… Yes.
Patrik: You are-
Megan: Because they do not give him…
Patrik: You, as the next of kin, are medical power of attorney. You could request the medical records at any given time.
Patrik: Any given time.
Megan: Okay. But they wouldn’t give them to me on the ward. If I said, “Can I see his drug chart?”, They probably wouldn’t give it to me.
Patrik: So, if you walked in there today and you asked for the medical records including the drug chart, they may tell you that you may have to go through a different department requesting that and filling in… And that may or may not be accurate. Most of the time you have to sign some forms, most of the time.
- INTENSIVE CARE’S HIDDEN SECRETS AND MYTHS BEHIND THE SCENES, THAT THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM KEEPS AWAY FROM YOU AT ANY COST AND OTHER FAMILIES OF CRITICALLY ILL PATIENTS HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THOSE HIDDEN SECRETS!
- THE 10 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ARE HAPPENING BEHIND THE SCENES IN INTENSIVE CARE THAT HOLD YOU BACK FROM HAVING PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE, WHILST YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
Patrik: But it’s definitely doable.
Megan: It’s doable. Because what they’re giving him is very much my business, isn’t it?
Patrik: Absolutely, Absolutely.
Megan: Who are they to just give him all this stuff.
Patrik: Absolutely. And what they will-
Megan: And I want to know what they’re giving him.
Patrik: Absolutely. And what they might tell you is, “Well, yes, you are entitled to find out what they’re giving him,” but at the end of the day they might say, “Well, even so, it’s a medical decision.” Right?
Patrik: That might be the response. But nevertheless, you have every right to find out what they are giving.
Megan: Because then we would know, Patrik.
Megan: But the problem with doing it is I am really pushing back at them. And I have to know that they will then be pushing back at me, so it’s a kind of… It’s got to make a judgment on that. Whether they will view it as a very hostile move, that I don’t trust them.
Megan: I don’t know.
Patrik: Yeah, yeah. You might think I’m throwing things at you. It’s none of your business what they think about you.
Megan: Nope. No. No. No. What I don’t want to do is to push back at them and find myself in a situation where they’re pushing back at me and I’ve pushed back at them for not any great gain.
Patrik: Yeah, yeah. No, no, you’re right. You’re right. You need to pick the battles. You need to pick the battles.
Megan: That’s what I’m saying. You need to pick your battles. There’s no point just having a battle with them for the sake of it.
- THE 3 WAYS ON HOW TO TURN THE TABLES IN YOUR FAVOUR AND HAVE CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE WHILST YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
Patrik: No, no. I agree, I agree. No, no. You need to pick your battles. It could well be that he is tired, right?
Patrik: And I’ve certainly seen that patients who have been off sedation, they are tired. And they have a disturbed day and night rhythm, and it could sometimes take days, sometimes even a couple of weeks until you get them back in a day and night rhythm. But that’s also why it’s so important… Things like having a shower. They sound simple and they just-
Patrik: Make work…
Megan: All the different… I’m going to ask about the shower. I didn’t do it yesterday. I’m going to ask about that and start talking about that this afternoon.
Megan: I was pleased yesterday, I thought that we had made some progress with this plan. And I thought, “This is a positive.” But then the next day, tomorrow today, I’ll start pushing for more.
Patrik: Yes, yes.
Megan: That was what I thought.
Patrik: Definitely. And didn’t you say there’s a change of doctors?
Megan: Yes! We’ve got a different doctor today. I don’t know this doctor, but there has been some… It’s a female doctor. I don’t know her, but it’s not the one who wants Ryan to have a heart attack. It’s definitely not her. Ryan’s favorite one, Dr. Collins, who’s fantastic. It’s not her. It’s someone I’ve never come across.
Megan: I don’t know if this is normal, but you’ll get all these different doctors with all these… Oh, just pop my phone off. All these different doctors with all these different opinions.
Patrik: Yeah, yeah. Yeah, yeah. But you have to-
Megan: Is that normal?
Patrik: Oh, that is normal. And different personalities, different attitudes. You will find that not all of them are agreeing with what this lady said.
- WHAT THE DOCTORS AND THE NURSES BEHAVIOUR IN INTENSIVE CARE IS TELLING YOU ABOUT THE CULTURE IN A UNIT!
- THE 10 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW DOCTORS AND NURSES ARE TALKING ABOUT IF YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE, WHEN YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE NOT PRESENT AT THE BEDSIDE!
Megan: No. No.
Patrik: You will find that… I wouldn’t worry too much about… Even though that’s what they told you, the next day it’s all different. They’re doing things that they should be doing, and that’s good.
Megan: Yes. So, don’t assume that they’re all thinking the same way.
Patrik: No, no, no, no, no, no. No. I have certainly seen over the years that some people… That one doctor makes one decision, and then there’s a change in doctors and the next thing you know is they’re changing everything.
Patrik: Good and bad.
Megan: Good and bad. Right.
Patrik: Good and bad. And also, I hear what you’re saying in your emails and also you mentioned earlier, like, “The nurses just do what the doctors say.” And that may be accurate, and it depends on their seniority, it depends on where they’re at in their career. A good nurse and an experienced nurse will not have any of that crap.
Megan: Yeah. And then Charlotte last night, is very nice, but I would say she’s one that would absolutely go with the flow. You know you get people that will always go… Yeah.
Megan: So, I just get the feeling that they’ve changed this doctor by saying, “He’s not going to make it.” And that has obviously been passed right around the ward. And so, some of them have taken a more negative…
- 5 POWERFUL THINGS YOU NEED TO DO IF THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM IS NEGATIVE WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
Patrik: Out of all those doctors, do you know who is the director of the unit?
Patrik: Yeah, you need to find out. Just give me a moment.
Patrik: Because some websites are better than others. Some have information about the ICUs and they have often names.
Megan: The names. Yes, they call it their Critical Care Unit, that’s their name for it.
Patrik: Okay, just give me a sec. I’m just on their site now. And Critical Care is not coming up under C. Let me have a look under I, it should be under me under Intensive Care or ICU. So, just give me a… No, whoa. Oh, they’re hiding. So, nothing under C and nothing under I, however-
Patrik: However, sometimes ICUs have standalone websites, sometimes. Just let me have a look at whether there’s something.
Patrik: Oh yeah. It comes up. It comes up. Nope. No, there is a website-
Megan: Alright, Patrik.
Megan: I’m here.
How can you become the best advocate for your critically ill loved one, make informed decisions, get peace of mind, control, power and influence quickly, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care?
You get to that all important feeling of making informed decisions, get PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE when you download your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” report NOW by entering your email below!
In Your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” report you’ll learn quickly how to make informed decisions, get PEACE OF MIND, real power and real control and how you can influence decision making fast, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care! Your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” Report gives you in-depth insight that you must know whilst your loved one is critically ill or is even dying in Intensive Care!
Sign up and download your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” REPORT now by entering your email below! In your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” REPORT you’ll learn how to speak the “secret” Intensive Care language so that the doctors and the nurses know straight away that you are an insider and that you know and understand what’s really happening in Intensive Care! In your FREE report you’ll also discover
- How to ask the doctors and the nurses the right questions
- Discover the many competing interests in Intensive Care and how your critically ill loved one’s treatment may depend on those competing interests
- How to eliminate fear, frustration, stress, struggle and vulnerability even if your loved one is dying
- 5 mind blowing tips & strategies helping you to get on the right path to making informed decisions, get PEACE OF MIND, control, power and influence in your situation
- You’ll get real world examples that you can easily adapt to you and your critically ill loved one’s situation
- How to stop being intimidated by the Intensive Care team and how you will be seen as equals
- You’ll get crucial ‘behind the scenes’ insight so that you know and understand what is really happening in Intensive Care
- How you need to manage doctors and nurses in Intensive Care (it’s not what you think)
Thank you for tuning into this week’s YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED episode and I’ll see you again in another update next week!
Make sure you also check out our “blog” section for more tips and strategies or send me an email to [email protected] with your questions!
Also, have a look at our membership site INTENSIVECARESUPPORT.ORG for families of critically ill Patients in Intensive Care here.
Or you can call us! Find phone numbers on our contact tab.
Also check out our Ebook section where you get more Ebooks, Videos and Audio recordings and where you can also get 1:1 counselling/consulting with me via Skype, over the phone or via email by clicking on the products tab!
This is Patrik Hutzel from INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM and I’ll see you again next week with another update!
- The 10 COMMANDMENTS for PEACE OF MIND, control, power and influence if your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- What could be the cause if my critically ill loved one is removed from an induced coma but still hasn’t woken up?
- My 80 year old father is in Intensive Care with Myeloma! The Intensive Care team HAS ASKED ME TO SIGN A “DNR” AND I REFUSED! What are MY OPTIONS?
- The 3 most dangerous mistakes that you are making but you are unaware of, if your loved one is a critically ill Patient in Intensive Care
- The 5 questions you need to ask when the Intensive Care team is talking about “Futility of treatment”, “Withdrawal of life support” or about “Withdrawal of treatment”
- HOW TO STOP BEING HELD HOSTAGE BY THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM if your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care!
- 5 POWERFUL THINGS YOU NEED TO DO IF THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM IS NEGATIVE WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
- My Mum has been diagnosed with STOMACH CANCER and is in ICU ventilated. CAN I TAKE HER HOME on a ventilator?
- The questions you need to ask the most senior doctor in Intensive Care, if your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- How long does it take for my critically ill loved one to be taken off the ventilator and have their breathing tube/ endotracheal tube removed
- Why you must make up your own mind about your critically ill loved one’s situation in Intensive Care even if you’re not a doctor or a nurse!
- The ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM or HOW THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM IS MAKING DECISIONS whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care!
- MY PARTNER IS IN INTENSIVE CARE ON A VENTILATOR! THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM WANTS TO DO A TRACHEOSTOMY AND I WANT TO HAVE HIM EXTUBATED! WHAT DO I DO?
- 5 ways you are UNCONSCIOUSLY SABOTAGING yourself whilst your loved one is CRITICALLY ILL in Intensive Care and HOW TO STOP doing it!
- How to make sure that “what you see is always what you get” whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- 5 Ways to have control, power and influence while your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- Family overjoyed as top court rules doctors must seek consent before taking a patient off life support
- How to make sure that your values and beliefs are known whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- My loved one has HIV, lymphoma on his brain, seizures, septic and is ventilated! The Intensive Care team is trying to TAKE MY HOPE AWAY and they are all NEGATIVE! HELP!
- MY PARTNER IS IN INTENSIVE CARE AFTER A BLEED ON A BRAIN! WE ARE WORRIED THAT THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM WANTS TO SWITCH OFF THE VENTILATOR! HELP!
- HOW TO DEAL WITH A DIFFICULT INTENSIVE CARE TEAM, WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
- What the doctors and the nurses behaviour in Intensive Care is telling you about the culture in a unit
- How to take control if your loved one has a severe brain injury and is critically ill in Intensive Care
- How can I be prepared, be mentally strong and be well positioned for a Family meeting with the Intensive Care team?(PART 1)
- How can I be prepared, be mentally strong and be well positioned for a Family meeting with the Intensive Care team?(PART 2)
- The four DEADLY SINS that Families of critically ill Patients in Intensive Care CONSTANTLY MAKE, but they are UNAWARE OF!
- My HUSBAND had a HORRIBLE work accident and went into CARDIAC ARREST! Will he be PERMANENTLY DISABLED
- Why decision making in Intensive Care GOES WAY BEYOND your critically ill loved one’s DIAGNOSIS AND PROGNOSIS!
- The 4 ways you can overcome INSURMOUNTABLE OBSTACLES whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care!
- How to get PEACE OF MIND, more control, more power and influence if your critically ill loved one is DYING in Intensive Care!
- The 5 QUESTIONS you need to ask, if the Intensive Care team wants you to DONATE your loved one’s ORGANS in an END OF LIFE SITUATION!
- MY PARTNER IS IN INTENSIVE CARE ON A VENTILATOR! THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM WANTS TO DO A TRACHEOSTOMY AND I WANT TO HAVE HIM EXTUBATED! WHAT DO I DO? (PART 1)
- How MEDICAL RESEARCH DOMINATES your critically ill loved one’s diagnosis and prognosis, as well as the CARE and TREATMENT your loved one IS RECEIVING or NOT RECEIVING
- WHAT WOULD YOU DO if you knew that you COULD NOT FAIL, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- How the Intensive Care team is SKILFULLY PLAYING WITH YOUR EMOTIONS, if your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care!
- My father is in Intensive Care ventilated with LIVER FAILURE and KIDNEY FAILURE, I DON’T THINK HE WILL SURVIVE! HELP
- HOW TO GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO HAVE PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
- My father has been weaned off the ventilator in Intensive Care and still has the Tracheostomy in. When can the Tracheostomy be removed?