Hi, it’s Patrik Hutzel from INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM where we instantly improve the lives for Families of critically ill Patients in Intensive Care, so that you can make informed decisions, have PEACE OF MIND, real power, real control and so that you can influence decision making fast, even if you’re not a doctor or a nurse in Intensive Care!
This is another episode of “YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED“and in last week’s episode I answered another question in this series of questions from my client Melissa and the question last week was PART 1 of
You can check out last week’s episode by clicking on the link here.
In this week’s episode of “YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED“, I want to answer the next question in this series of questions from one of my clients Melissa, which are excerpts from phone and email counselling and consulting sessions with me and the question this week is
My 78 year old Mom has lung cancer and developed an infection! She’s in ICU on the breathing tube, can she get off it or will she need a tracheostomy? (PART 3)
thank you for your email and your phone message. We just got home and have to speak to some family members so will have to call tomorrow but they are holding off on the Tracheostomy until we can be there for it. I rescinded my permission.
They did share the chest X-Ray. Their position is Physical therapy would not make a difference and she is too weak to do much.
I know they have beds to fill but what I do not get is they get paid either way no matter who’s in the bed..what’s it to them who it is?
I think the doctor is sick of our questions frankly and he seemed exasperated with us. But we need to have the facts. My mom does want the tracheostomy so we will most likely do it in time, maybe in the next few days and most likely next week.
Do you and other advocates at your INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM also talk, not just to the doctors but to the long-term care places? For example…we would want her at this specific place. This doctor says she has only a 10 percent chance of getting in because they do an evaluation and only take people who they feel have a high chance of getting better. But they look for the doctor’s recommendation(although it depends on other factors too) and this doctor would almost certainly give them a negative report. Would you or any of your other your advocates get involved in things like that?
Will call you tomorrow and have CC’d dad on this email.
Did get her oxygen level in blood and it is 3 points higher then you said it needed to be so that is good.
I can certainly talk to the doctor in this ICU and I believe they are not open and transparent as I mentioned to you before.
I can certainly talk to any of the facilities where your mother may go to so that you chose the best possible option. I can talk to whoever you want me to talk to.
But I believe we need to start with the ICU doctors to still try and avoid the tracheostomy if possible at all.
Again, if they followed best practice like described in this article/video here
Then at least they would have maximized chances of getting your mother off the ventilator and extubated.
If they have tried everything they could, the tracheostomy will be the right next step. If they are trying to avoid your questions, it looks like they have no interest in your mother’s situation and all they want is to have her leave Intensive Care, whether it’ll be by going to hospice or by going to LTAC(=long-term acute care ).
It’s all in their “hidden agenda” and all they usually want is to empty the ICU bed, period! They would never openly admit to it, however as I have said over and over again, ICU beds are in high demand and as you know by now, they don’t really want to deal with you because you are being perceived as “way too difficult and demanding” but that’s the only way forward.
You are now slowly moving into the 1% bracket of families in Intensive Care who make informed decisions, get peace of mind, control, power and influence, therefore take it as a compliment because you are speaking your truth and they don’t like it!
They know you’ve got the right questions, that’s why they are trying to avoid you.
Your ability to read between the lines will give you most of the answers you are seeking!
Keep watching their actions and behaviour and not so much their words.
- THE 5 REASONS WHY YOU NEED TO BE DIFFICULT AND DEMANDING WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE
You are also saying that it “would be too difficult” to do Physical therapy. Well Melissa, that’s exactly why they need to start doing Physical Therapy, because she’s too weak!
How do you think she’ll get strong again???
The only way forward is through Physical therapy in order to build up her strength, everything else is an excuse.
Of course, the doctors are exasperated with you because you keep challenging them and they quite frankly don’t like it. They know you have all the right questions that they need to answer!
I appreciate that you rescinded your consent for the tracheostomy for now. Please keep in mind that if she does need a tracheostomy it can be done really quickly, usually within less than 90 minutes for somebody with experience.
I believe there needs to be a family meeting where I can call into so that they can’t hide. The questions that I’ve given you are basic questions and I can go into way more detail once you’ve engaged me as an advocate/ consultant.
We are just scratching the surface here and there’s so much more to ask and to find out. Everything that happens or doesn’t happen in Intensive Care, every communication that happens or doesn’t happen in Intensive Care is usually a result of what’s happening “BEHIND THE SCENES” in Intensive Care!
If you don’t understand what’s happening “BEHIND THE SCENES” in Intensive Care you’ll have a very difficult time understanding and interpreting information correctly and accurately!
- THE 10 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ARE HAPPENINGBEHIND THE SCENES IN INTENSIVE CARE THAT HOLD YOU BACK FROM HAVING PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE, WHILST YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
- INTENSIVE CARE’S HIDDEN SECRETS AND MYTHS BEHIND THE SCENES, THAT THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM KEEPS AWAY FROM YOU AT ANY COST AND OTHER FAMILIES OF CRITICALLY ILL PATIENTS HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THOSE HIDDEN SECRETS!
Therefore, it matters a great deal who is occupying their ICU beds, because the best occupancy for ICU’s is to have quick turn overs where Patients don’t stay for very long, because it tends to be less hassle and also more profitable or at least more cost effective!
The longer a Patient stays in ICU the more difficult and complicated a situation can get clinically as well as emotionally including from a family perspective!
Also, some Patients attract higher payments/fees than others it’s as simple as that.
The longer the ICU stay the more is at stake and the more you and your family need to understand the clinical issues at hand, because if you don’t the Intensive Care team will do it for you and they can pretty much tell you whatever they want.
Do your own research, which I know you are doing now anyways, ask the right questions and position your mother’s diagnosis, her prognosis, as well as her care and her treatment going forward and you have a much better chance to get what you and your mother want, need and deserve.
If you don’t do it, the Intensive Care team will do it for you and as you can already see it’s causing friction.
You will only get the facts if you keep asking even if they are resisting. If you don’t get the answers on the first try, try again. It’s as simple as that. Like with many things in life things may not happen straight away!
You are under pressure I know, but don’t give up! If you give up and don’t try to get the answers that you want straight away you’ll go right back to the 99% of families of critically ill Patients in Intensive Care who make no informed decisions, who have no peace of mind, no control, no power and no influence!
Also, keep coming back to those articles/videos about when to do a tracheostomy, this information will help you tremendously to continue asking all the right questions.
I’m looking forward to talk to you tomorrow!
How can you become the best advocate for your critically ill loved one, make informed decisions, get peace of mind, control, power and influence quickly, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care?
You get to that all important feeling of making informed decisions, get PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE when you download your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” report NOW by entering your email below!
In Your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” report you’ll learn quickly how to make informed decisions, get PEACE OF MIND, real power and real control and how you can influence decision making fast, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care! Your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” Report gives you in-depth insight that you must know whilst your loved one is critically ill or is even dying in Intensive Care!
Sign up and download your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” REPORT now by entering your email below! In your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” REPORT you’ll learn how to speak the “secret” Intensive Care language so that the doctors and the nurses know straight away that you are an insider and that you know and understand what’s really happening in Intensive Care! In your FREE report you’ll also discover
- How to ask the doctors and the nurses the right questions
- Discover the many competing interests in Intensive Care and how your critically ill loved one’s treatment may depend on those competing interests
- How to eliminate fear, frustration, stress, struggle and vulnerability even if your loved one is dying
- 5 mind blowing tips& strategies helping you to get on the right path to making informed decisions, get PEACE OF MIND, control, power and influence in your situation
- You’ll get real world examples that you can easily adapt to your and your critically ill loved one’s situation
- How to stop being intimidated by the Intensive Care team and how you will be seen as equals
- You’ll get crucial ‘behind the scenes’ insight so that you know and understand what is really happening in Intensive Care
- How you need to manage doctors and nurses in Intensive Care (it’s not what you think)
Thank you for tuning into this week’s YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED episode and I’ll see you again in another update next week!
Or you can call us! Find phone numbers on our contact tab.
Also check out our Ebook section where you get more Ebooks, Videos and Audio recordings and where you can also get 1:1 counselling/consulting with me via Skype, over the phone or via email by clicking on the products tab!
This is Patrik Hutzel from INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM and I’ll see you again next week with another update!
- The 10 COMMANDMENTS for PEACE OF MIND, control, power and influence if your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- What could be the cause if my critically ill loved one is removed from an induced coma but still hasn’t woken up?
- My 80 year old father is in Intensive Care with Myeloma! The Intensive Care team HAS ASKED ME TO SIGN A “DNR” AND I REFUSED! What are MY OPTIONS?
- The 3 most dangerous mistakes that you are making but you are unaware of, if your loved one is a critically ill Patient in Intensive Care
- The 5 questions you need to ask when the Intensive Care team is talking about “Futility of treatment”, “Withdrawal of life support” or about “Withdrawal of treatment”
- HOW TO STOP BEING HELD HOSTAGE BY THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM if your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care!
- 5 POWERFUL THINGS YOU NEED TO DO IF THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM IS NEGATIVE WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
- My Mum has been diagnosed with STOMACH CANCER and is in ICU ventilated. CAN I TAKE HER HOME on a ventilator?
- The questions you need to ask the most senior doctor in Intensive Care, if your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- How long does it take for my critically ill loved one to be taken off the ventilator and have their breathing tube/ endotracheal tube removed
- Why you must make up your own mind about your critically ill loved one’s situation in Intensive Care even if you’re not a doctor or a nurse!
- The ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM or HOW THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM IS MAKING DECISIONS whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care!
- MY PARTNER IS IN INTENSIVE CARE ON A VENTILATOR! THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM WANTS TO DO A TRACHEOSTOMY AND I WANT TO HAVE HIM EXTUBATED! WHAT DO I DO?
- 5 ways you are UNCONSCIOUSLY SABOTAGING yourself whilst your loved one is CRITICALLY ILL in Intensive Care and HOW TO STOP doing it!
- How to make sure that “what you see is always what you get” whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- 5 Ways to have control, power and influence while your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- Family overjoyed as top court rules doctors must seek consent before taking a patient off life support
- How to make sure that your values and beliefs are known whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- My loved one has HIV, lymphoma on his brain, seizures, septic and is ventilated! The Intensive Care team is trying to TAKE MY HOPE AWAY and they are all NEGATIVE! HELP!
- MY PARTNER IS IN INTENSIVE CARE AFTER A BLEED ON A BRAIN! WE ARE WORRIED THAT THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM WANTS TO SWITCH OFF THE VENTILATOR! HELP!
- HOW TO DEAL WITH A DIFFICULT INTENSIVE CARE TEAM, WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
- What the doctors and the nurses behaviour in Intensive Care is telling you about the culture in a unit
- How to take control if your loved one has a severe brain injury and is critically ill in Intensive Care
- How can I be prepared, be mentally strong and be well positioned for a Family meeting with the Intensive Care team?(PART 1)
- How can I be prepared, be mentally strong and be well positioned for a Family meeting with the Intensive Care team?(PART 2)
- The four DEADLY SINS that Families of critically ill Patients in Intensive Care CONSTANTLY MAKE, but they are UNAWARE OF!
- My HUSBAND had a HORRIBLE work accident and went into CARDIAC ARREST! Will he be PERMANENTLY DISABLED
- Why decision making in Intensive Care GOES WAY BEYOND your critically ill loved one’s DIAGNOSIS AND PROGNOSIS!
- The 4 ways you can overcome INSURMOUNTABLE OBSTACLES whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care!
- How to get PEACE OF MIND, more control, more power and influence if your critically ill loved one is DYING in Intensive Care!
- The 5 QUESTIONS you need to ask, if the Intensive Care team wants you to DONATE your loved one’s ORGANS in an END OF LIFE SITUATION!
- MY PARTNER IS IN INTENSIVE CARE ON A VENTILATOR! THE INTENSIVE CARE TEAM WANTS TO DO A TRACHEOSTOMY AND I WANT TO HAVE HIM EXTUBATED! WHAT DO I DO? (PART 1)
- How MEDICAL RESEARCH DOMINATES your critically ill loved one’s diagnosis and prognosis, as well as the CARE and TREATMENT your loved one IS RECEIVING or NOT RECEIVING
- WHAT WOULD YOU DO if you knew that you COULD NOT FAIL, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care
- How the Intensive Care team is SKILFULLY PLAYING WITH YOUR EMOTIONS, if your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care!
- My father is in Intensive Care ventilated with LIVER FAILURE and KIDNEY FAILURE, I DON’T THINK HE WILL SURVIVE! HELP
- HOW TO GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO HAVE PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
- My father has been weaned off the ventilator in Intensive Care and still has the Tracheostomy in. When can the Tracheostomy be removed?