Hi, it’s Patrik Hutzel from INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM , where we instantly improve the lives of Families of critically ill Patients in Intensive Care, so that you can have PEACE OF MIND, real power, real control and so that you can influence decision making fast, even if you’re not a doctor or a nurse in Intensive Care!
In this episode of the INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM Podcast I interviewed Professor Thaddeus Pope a US based lawyer and medical futility expert! Professor Pope is especially concerned with exploring the justifiability of private and public limitations on individual liberty, end-of-life medicine and public health ethics.
Professor Pope publishes his own blog medicalfutility.blogspot.com where he tracks judicial, legislative, policy, and academic developments concerning medical futility and the limits on individual autonomy at the end of life.
In the interview, Patrik and Professor Pope explore and discuss
- recent controversial and highly publicised cases in Intensive Care related to brain death and perceived end of life situations
- Professor Pope’s passion is around medical futility and the law
- Listen to how Professor Pope and Patrik discuss two recent cases of two brain dead Patients in California, where one family is trying to rescind the death certificate for their 15 year old daughter Jahie McMath who is currently on a ventilator and life support in New Jersey
- What it would mean for the future of Intensive Care and the diagnosis of brain death if death certificates would be annulled
- Why a Family’s value judgement is important when dealing with brain death
- Why some states in the USA have a law where Families who object out of religious believes to brain death can dispute the diagnosis
- Why Jahi McMath may be legally alive in New Jersey and maybe legally dead in California and the controversy and discussions around it
- Why some Intensive Care Units give Families 24-48 hours time to come to terms with the death of their loved one and others aren’t giving Families enough time to grieve
- Patrik and Professor Pope discuss another highly controversial case where a young lady (Lisa Avila) has been diagnosed with brain death after she had given birth to her 8th child and she got misdiagnosed with an undiagnosed ectopic (tubal) pregnancy that caused her to go into cardiac arrest, where she ended up brain dead
- Massive trust issues between families and Intensive Care teams cause disputes around the diagnoses of brain death
- Most Intensive Care Units have a policy to not treat brain dead people and therefore withdraw life support
- Listen to what Professor Pope has to say about the legal issues surrounding brain death
- Patrik and Professor Pope also discuss the massive legal and ethical challenges when a family disputes the brain death of a loved one
- Patrik and Professor Pope discuss other futility cases that have made headlines such as the Hassan Rasouli case in Canada, where the Intensive Care team wanted to withdraw treatment without family consent
- The family objected the Intensive Care team’s decision and went to court where the supreme court of Canada protected Families rights when it comes to perceived futility cases in perceived end of life situations
- The Rassouli family successfully challenged the “perceived power” and “perceived authority” of the Intensive Care team
- Why transparency in end of life or perceived end of life situations is critical and how families in Intensive Care can get transparency and full disclosure simply by positioning themselves correctly by asking the right questions
- How families in Intensive Care can get what they want in a real end of life situation
- Professor Pope is referring to the hospital dispute process if Families need help and advice in medical futility cases
- Why families in Intensive Care should be asking the Intensive Care team for their end of life policies if they are in doubt
- Patrik and Professor Pope have also recorded a previous interview last year that you can check out here Pope interview 2014
Other recommended resources:
- THE 5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW IF THE MEDICAL TEAM IN INTENSIVE CARE WANTS TO “LIMIT TREATMENT”, WANTS TO “WITHDRAW TREATMENT” OR “WITHDRAW LIFE SUPPORT” OR WANTS TO ISSUE A “DNR” (DO NOT RESUSCITATE) OR AN “NFR” (NOT FOR RESUSCITATION) ORDER FOR YOUR CRITICALLY ILL LOVED ONE!
- FOLLOW THIS PROVEN 6 STEP PROCESS, ON HOW TO BE POWERFUL, IN CONTROL, INFLUENTIAL AND HAVE PEACE OF MIND, IF YOUR LOVED ONE IS A LONG-TERM PATIENT IN INTENSIVE CARE OR IS FACING TREATMENT LIMITATIONS IN INTENSIVE CARE!
- PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE EVEN IN THE MOST CHALLENGING OF CIRCUMSTANCES THAT YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR CRITICALLY ILL LOVED ONE COULD POSSIBLY FACE IN INTENSIVE CARE
- THE FAST LANE FOR PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE WHEN YOUR LOVED ONE IS CRITICALLY ILL IN INTENSIVE CARE!
How can you QUICKLY have PEACE OF MIND, control, power and influence whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care?
You get to that all important feeling of PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE when you download your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” report NOW by entering your email below! In Your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” report you’ll learn quickly how to get PEACE OF MIND, real power and real control and how you can influence decision making fast, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care! Your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” Report gives you in-depth insight that you must know whilst your loved one is critically ill or is even dying in Intensive Care! Sign up and download your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” REPORT now by entering your email below! In your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” REPORT you’ll learn how to speak the “secret” Intensive Care language so that the doctors and the nurses know straight away that you are an insider and that you know and understand what’s really happening in Intensive Care! In your FREE report you’ll also discover
- How to ask the doctors and the nurses the right questions
- Discover the many competing interests in Intensive Care and how your critically ill loved one’s treatment may depend on those competing interests
- How to eliminate fear, frustration, stress, struggle and vulnerability even if your loved one is dying
- 5 “killer” tips& strategies helping you to get on the right path to PEACE OF MIND, control, power and influence in your situation
- You’ll get real world examples that you can easily adapt to your and your critically ill loved one’s situation
- How to stop being intimidated by the Intensive Care team and how you will be seen as equals
- You’ll get crucial ‘behind the scenes’ insight so that you know and understand what is really happening in Intensive Care
- How you need to manage doctors and nurses in Intensive Care(it’s not what you think)
Thank you for tuning into this week’s “PODCAST” and I’ll see you again in another update next week! Make sure you also check out our “YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED” section where we answer your questions or send me an email to [email protected] with your questions!
This is Patrik Hutzel from INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM and I’ll see you again next week with another update!