Hi, it’s Patrik Hutzel from INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM , where we instantly improve the lives of Families of critically ill Patients in Intensive Care, so that you can make informed decisions have PEACE OF MIND, real power, real control and so that you can influence decision making fast, even if you’re not a doctor or a nurse in Intensive Care!
In last week’s BLOG I’ve talked about
You can check out last week’s BLOG by clicking on the link here.
In this week’s PODCAST, I interviewed Charlie Atkinson from Cambridge, Massachusets
INTERVIEW WITH CHARLIE ATKINSON WHO WAS A PATIENT IN ICU& LTAC FOR MORE THAN 12 MONTHS AND SURVIVED AGAINST THE ODDS! LISTEN TO CHARLIE’S INSPIRATIONAL STORY!
In the interview Charlie shares some amazing insights with our listeners that he learned along his challenging journey in Intensive Care to long-term acute care. Here are some of the lessons Charlie learned!
- How Charlie went from living a perfectly normal, active and healthy family life to become a Patient in Intensive Care with WNV Poliomyelitis and Encephalitis, in a coma resulting from his illness
- Charlie woke up after two weeks in Intensive Care, only to find that he was ventilator dependent with tracheostomy and he felt very delusional
- Charlie was paralysed and ventilator dependent and after three months in Long-term Acute Care, the team had given up hope
- The Long-Term Acute Care and Family team were trying to facilitate Long Term Nursing or even a hospice for Charlie for his imminent passing, but Charlie “didn’t like the idea” and decided to prove them all wrong!
- The Long-Term-Acute Care team was giving Charlie’s family the “doom and gloom” speech and they were mostly negative and were ready to give up on him, but a Nursing Assistant, a Physiotherapist and Respiratory Therapist had positive expectations because of Charlie’s determination
- Charlie wasn’t going to give up and he didn’t want other people to make decisions about his life or death
- Eventually one Pulmonologist doctor gave Charlie “another shot” on the ventilator which also extended his insurance payments to get more necessary and appropriate medical treatment
- Charlie stresses the importance of rallying your strength and forces, make your own judgements, your own plan and act on it
- Charlie’s view on “family meetings” with the Intensive Care and long-term acute care team and their “hidden agendas”
- The Intensive Care team remained negative and Charlie was determined to prove them all wrong
- One Physiotherapist convinced Charlie that he can make it, but he had to “sign up” for a “6 month, 6-day a week boot camp!” in order to get better
- Eventually, after gaining some strength and after more than 12 months in Intensive Care and long-term acute care, Charlie went home on a ventilator with tracheostomy
- Charlie nearly died twice whilst being at home on a ventilator, without the adequate support of trained ICU nurses
- Patrik could have helped Charlie and other Patients in similar situations with his service INTENSIVE CARE AT HOME that looks after long-term ventilated adults& children with tracheostomies at home
- There is no system to look after Long term ventilated Patients with tracheostomies at home in USA
- Patrik’s service INTENSIVE CARE AT HOME has a system and staff to look after long-term ventilated adults& children with tracheostomies at home. This provides a genuine alternative to a long-term stay in Intensive Care
- Charlie organised equipment for going home
- He learned that going home needs to be well thought through
- Charlie eventually decided to take himself off the ventilator
- Charlie also made the decision to have his tracheostomy decannulated
- Charlie is the founder of Thewholebrainfoundation.org
Listen to Charlie’s interview here
How can you get PEACE OF MIND, control, power and influence quickly, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care?
You get to that all important feeling of PEACE OF MIND, CONTROL, POWER AND INFLUENCE when you download your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” report NOW by entering your email below!
In Your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” report you’ll learn quickly how to get PEACE OF MIND, real power and real control and how you can influence decision making fast, whilst your loved one is critically ill in Intensive Care! Your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” Report gives you in-depth insight that you must know whilst your loved one is critically ill or is even dying in Intensive Care! Sign up and download your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” REPORT now by entering your email below!
In your FREE “INSTANT IMPACT” REPORT you’ll learn how to speak the “secret” Intensive Care language so that the doctors and the nurses know straight away that you are an insider and that you know and understand what’s really happening in Intensive Care!
In your FREE report you’ll also discover
- How to ask the doctors and the nurses the right questions
- Discover the many competing interests in Intensive Care and how your critically ill loved one’s treatment may depend on those competing interests
- How to eliminate fear, frustration, stress, struggle and vulnerability even if your loved one is dying
- 5 mind blowing tips& strategies helping you to get on the right path to PEACE OF MIND, control, power and influence in your situation
- You’ll get real world examples that you can easily adapt to your and your critically ill loved one’s situation
- How to stop being intimidated by the Intensive Care team and how you will be seen as equals
- You’ll get crucial ‘behind the scenes’ insight so that you know and understand what is really happening in Intensive Care
- How you need to manage doctors and nurses in Intensive Care(it’s not what you think)
Thank you for tuning into this week’s “BLOG” and I’ll see you again in another update next week!
Or you can call us! Find phone numbers on our contact tab.
Also check out our Products section where you get more Ebooks, Videos and Audio recordings and where you can also get 1:1 consulting with me via Skype or over the phone by clicking on the products tab!
This is Patrik Hutzel from INTENSIVECAREHOTLINE.COM and I’ll see you again next week with another update!